1820s to 1840s The earliest Round Top area settlers were English who came to the area from other parts of the United States.
1821 With Mexico’s Independence from Spain the area of Texas is given to Mexico by Spain.
1823 Stephen F. Austin received a land grant from the Mexican government and began colonization in the region of the Brazos River. (Round Top is located within this Austin grant)
1826 Stephen Townsend and his family move to the Round Top area. The family established a Presbyterian Church, Florida Chapel, and founded a Masonic lodge. The Townsend family had the distinction of sending more men to the battle of San Jacinto than any other family.
1824-1828 Ten members of the Old 300 received titles to land grants-a total of 92 land grants were eventually granted by the Mexican Government.
1828-1835 The Leagues of Land in Fayette County were granted by year as follows: 1824-7 Leagues, 1827-2 Leagues, 1828-1 League, 1831-58 Leagues, 1832-2 Leagues, 1835-15 Leagues. (League of land is equal to 4,428.4 acres.)
1830s The Ledbetter family land was the site of the first Round Top Academy. At this time Round Top was known as the Townsend Settlement.
1833 Santa Anna was installed as President of Mexico.
1834 Stephen F. Austin was incarcerated in a Mexican jail for an act of sedition.
Why Round Top Incorporated After the civil war ended a group of transient Confederate “gorillas,” termed by the inhabitant as “rowdies,” made a camp in the cedar brakes surrounding Round Top. When they needed supplies, they terrified the citizenry by riding into town, shooting out all the window lights, and holding up the merchants in order to take what merchandise was needed.
At last, the town turned out in body to elect a mayor, marshal, and town council. The mayor, appointed buglers to stand on guard, and as soon as the “rowdies” were seen riding into town the bugles were sounded and every man came to the town square, bringing with him arms. The “rowdies became less rowdy, and presently moved on.