In 1854 the town of Round Top was laid out in "blocks and "lots", a block was equal to one acre of land and a lot was equal to 1/4 of a block. A "lot" would sell for $ 50.00 to $ 60.00 in 1855.
information courtesy of The Times of Round Top
>>> Did You Know <<<
The Stephen Townsend family was the first known anglo family to move to the Round Top area in 1826. Other members of the Townsend family also moved to the Round Top area. They soon established the first church of their Presbyterian faith, known as Florida Chapel. They named it after Florida, their home state. The church no longer exists, but a cemetery still marks the site (Florida Chapel Cemetery). In 1835 Stephen Townsend bought four hundred acres of land along Cummins Creek across from the present site of the town of Round Top. For years Round Top was known as the Townsend Settlement.
Interesting note in history: The Townsend family had the largest family representation at the Battle of San Jacinto, more than any other family.