Texas was a independent sovereign country from 1836 to 1845. Fayette County was established in 1837. La Grange was incorporated in 1850. Round Top was incorporated in 1870.
Pictured here L to R: Elisa Henderson, RTAHS board member who was responsible for this project. Donors LaVerne Albers and Barnell Albers. Barnell is the Mayor of Round Top.
New Addition to our Museum Campus
The Round Top Area Historical Society celebrates the dedication of a beautiful gazebo to include vintage brick flooring, two benches and a picnic table. One of the benches was donated by Barnell and LaVerne Albers of Round Top, in loving memory of his parents Wesley and Lonie Albers.
The Round Top Area Historical Society would like to thank LaVerne and Barnell Albers for their generous donation that made this possible. The table will be used by visitors to the museum campus for many years. posted 061517
The Round Top Rummel Haus 1872
Get your Round Top Historical News
Right Here !!
When the town of Round was incorporated in 1870 Francis W. McGuire was appointed mayor. At that time he owned ten acres on Mill Street that later, on April 1, 1871, was bought by William Rummel. There, McGuire operated a steam sawmill, cotton gin and other machinery.
There is no information that a house existed on the ten acres, but deed records do state that a house existed on block 23. That would have been adjacent to and to the south of the ten acres.
Carl William Rummel, Jr. and Clara Hillebrandt were married January 21, 1868, in Bethlehem Lutheran Church by Rev. Adam Heuthard. He preferred to go by the name of William. It can be assumed that this young couple began planning for a nice home, so when they purchased the ten acres in 1871, their plans began to take shape. More than likely, William’s grandfather was instrumental in this because of his expertise in stone masonry.
William’s grandfather was Carl Siegismund Bauer, an exceptional stone mason who had already help construct the Schueddemagen house for his daughter and son-in-law, Conrad Schueddemagen, in the 1850s. He was also the planner and overseer for the construction of the Bethlehem Lutheran Church dedicated in 1866. It is assumed, although undocumented, that the beautiful stone house which is even today, known as the Rummel Haus, probably was built in 1871 or 1872. Carl S. Bauer, after a brief illness, passed away on January 27, 1873.
William and Clara reared a family of six children, three boys and three girls, in Round Top. They are buried in the Bethlehem Lutheran Cemetery as is Carl Bauer. Information from the RT Library, unknown writings from 1947
At the end of the 1890s with two saloons in town it became apparent for the need to occasionally let a disorderly person have a place to "sleep it off".
So this 10' by 10' “calaboose” (jail) was built.
Once daylight appeared the now sober person would pay a fine and go on their way. If someone committed a serious crime they also would be placed in the calaboose and the Fayette County Sheriff would be notified by telegraph. In the early days it would take several hours for a deputy to reach Round Top by horseback or wagon to transport the prisoner back to the Fayette County jail in La Grange. By the early 1920s, the calaboose was done away with, due to quicker means of transportation to the county jail.
>>>> Did You Know <<<<
For Round Top to maintain the dignity of being an incorporated city, Round Top must pay for a great many public services which could have been turned over to the county government.
The town incorporated in 1870. Round Top Rifle Association formed in 1873. Do-Your-Duty Club was founded in 1935.
These three organizations keep the town the pleasant, self-sufficient place it is. Information courtesy of Margie Wells