When the town of Round was incorporated in 1870 Francis W. McGuire was appointed mayor. At that time he owned ten acres on Mill Street that later, on April 1, 1871, was bought by William Rummel. There, McGuire operated a steam sawmill, cotton gin and other machinery.
There is no information that a house existed on the ten acres, but deed records do state that a house existed on block 23. That would have been adjacent to and to the south of the ten acres.
Carl William Rummel, Jr. and Clara Hillebrandt were married January 21, 1868, in Bethlehem Lutheran Church by Rev. Adam Heuthard. He preferred to go by the name of William. It can be assumed that this young couple began planning for a nice home, so when they purchased the ten acres in 1871, their plans began to take shape. More than likely, William’s grandfather was instrumental in this because of his expertise in stone masonry.
William’s grandfather was Carl Siegismund Bauer, an exceptional stone mason who had already help construct the Schueddemagen house for his daughter and son-in-law, Conrad Schueddemagen, in the 1850s. He was also the planner and overseer for the construction of the Bethlehem Lutheran Church dedicated in 1866. It is assumed, although undocumented, that the beautiful stone house which is even today, known as the Rummel Haus, probably was built in 1871 or 1872. Carl S. Bauer, after a brief illness, passed away on January 27, 1873.
William and Clara reared a family of six children, three boys and three girls, in Round Top. They are buried in the Bethlehem Lutheran Cemetery as is Carl Bauer. Information from the RT Library, unknown writings from 1947
Traugott Wandke, Texas' first known pipe organ builder, built seven organs before he died in 1870. His largest organ was donated to the Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Round Top, Texas. Built of native cedar, this remarkable instrument, yet today, serves the congregation with its melodious strains.
# 13. How long did it take to build the pipe organ in the Round Top, Bethlehem Lutheran Church?
>>>> Did You Know <<<<
For Round Top to maintain the dignity of being an incorporated city, Round Top must pay for a great many public services which could have been turned over to the county government.
The town incorporated in 1870. Round Top Rifle Association formed in 1873. Do-Your-Duty Club was founded in 1935.
These three organizations keep the town the pleasant, self-sufficient place it is. Information courtesy of Margie Wells
Round Top - Town Hall today - built 1926
>>>> Did You Know <<<<
Pastor Neuthard's boarding school. (built 1858 - demolished 1938) Was located next to church.
Dr. Adam Neuthard (1828 - 1902)
Pastor Adam Neuthard in 1858 built a combination home and boarding school in Round Top. He was a master of Hebrew, Greek, Latin, French, and German.
In 1866 he organized a Lutheran congregation in Round Top where he ministered for 37 years. The Bethlehem Lutheran stone church completed in 1867 still remains in use to this day. During Pastor Neuthard's tenure he baptized 2,450 children and confirmed 1,450 young people and presided at 1,000 funerals.
For the first 70 years all sermons in the church and school classes were conducted in German. The amazing Pastor Adam Neuthard is one of the cherished legends of Round Top.